Friday, February 5, 2016

Grandpa/Ancestor Altar






I have been thinking a lot about my grandpa lately.  Remembering how he would just laugh and smile all of the time.  Remembering his love of fishing, milky way bars, and kitty cats, how much he loved grandma and their children, how he loved his grand kids.  I have such good memories of spending time with him, fishing and just talking.  He has been gone since 2006, cancer sucks.  So I know that on Samhain you are supposed to honor the ancestors and family members that have passed on, but for me once a year is not enough.  I think what I am going to do is make a small memorial altar for this wonderful man, that is pictured above and keep it up all year.  I will print out a couple of the pictures I have of him, get a milky way bar, a kids toy fishing kit to put on the altar, a small stuffed cat or a plastic cat, and a red toy matchbox truck to symbolize the red truck that he had and loved,  add some candles and a red cloth, he loved the color red.  I don't think we should honor our ancestors just once a year, but I think there should be a permanent altar for them.  I am going to also make a space outside, when my husband and I finally buy our home, with some flowers, and memorial stone, a bird bath fountain, windchimes and a bench to sit on.  
 The sun is bright today and the birds are singing, there is a slight chill in the air.  I am feeling a need to get outside in Nature and ground myself.  I am liking Molly's, aka herspeak, idea of renting a cabin for the weekend at a place that has a lake and woods and just unplugging, unwinding and doing more relaxing and getting in tune with Nature, I will hopefully talk my husband into doing that when the weather gets a tad warmer.  When I get the memorial altar set up for my grandpa, I'll post pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment