Sunday, March 11, 2018

Dr. Google/one Day At A Time.

Merry meet all. How are you today?  Today I am wanting to talk about Dr. Google, oh yes I am sure you are all familiar with him/her, you find something odd with your body, a strange lump or rash or you have a certain symptom, and you rush to the computer and you type in lump, or rash, or diarrhea, or coughing but no cold, and you suddenly see, symptom of this and this and this, and you google more and suddenly, you are like that's it I am dying, I have cancer, or it's a heart attack or any number of deadly illnesses, then you start to stress and you keep checking and you keep poking and you keep prodding, and your panic gets so sky high that you actually make yourself  sick from worrying.  I do this a lot and I found out it's called Health Anxiety, I have been pretty healthy my whole life, other than being over weight, I haven't had any major sickness since I have been here in San Diego, I used to get sick a lot where I used to live, sinus infections, flu (the kind where you are going out both ends), sore throat, bronchitis.  I used to not worry and google my symptoms at all, I was like okay if this doesn't get better in a week or two weeks I'll  go get it checked, by the way, I hate going to the doctor, I avoid it.  Oh I have a lump somewhere on my body, could be a fat pocket or a bump or a inflamed muscle or a knot, if it gets bigger or I start having other symptoms I'll get it checked, that was the old me.  Ever since I had my first panic attack, it seems now every little sharp pain under my left breast or down my left side, I run and make an appointment with Dr. Google and look up what it could be, then I get freaked out thinking it's a heart attack or cancer, I have a lump small about 1/8 inch on my back near a fat roll, I can't remember if I had it for years, but I feel like I have,and just discovered it again, I freaked myself out thinking it's cancer thanks to Dr. Google, but I have gone through the check list in my head, I don't have any symptoms at all, and you would think with a lump that can be felt like that I would have some form of symptoms, such as night sweats, fatigue, fever, pain, rapid weight loss, etc, I know you are saying but some people don't even know until they go and the doctor is like oh well you have six months to live, but I bet there was some clue there, you can't have cancer and not have symptoms. Anyway what I am saying is, health anxiety is real and it's a mental illness, and it is exhausting, my goal is to try not to make an appointment with Dr. Google and do the wait and see.  Take it one day at a time, get back to how I used to be. Take it one day at a time, oh and Dr. Google Can't see you now.   On a more positive note, I have lost two pounds since last month, I am now down 42 pounds in a year. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment